Before surgery Rhinoplasty
Tips before surgery Rhinoplasty
While rhinoplasty surgery can be completed in less than two hours, the entire process of receiving rhinoplasty requires much more of a time commitment. Although nose reshaping surgery is a relatively common, elective procedure, the process should not be taken lightly. In fact, preparing for rhinoplasty surgery should begin weeks prior to the actual procedure in order to ensure pleasing results and a speedy recovery. Below are some general tips regarding surgery preparation, although all patients should talk to their doctors for more specific instructions.
In general, some of the most important steps that are involved in preparing for rhinoplasty surgery include:
• Researching Your Surgeon
• Scheduling a Consultation
• Making Certain Lifestyle and Dietary Changes
• Arranging Post-operative care
• Plan for Recovery Time
Choosing and Meeting with Your Surgeon
The surgeon that you choose to perform your rhinoplasty procedure will obviously have a significant impact on how happy you are with the results. During your initial consultation with a potential surgeon you should be sure to check your surgeon’s credentials. Verify that your surgeon is board-certified, and ask to see some before and after photos of previous patients. Take this opportunity to get a feel for the facility, the surgeon, and the staff to whom you are going to entrust your dreams for your new face. This will help you ensure that that particular surgeon can help you meet your specific aesthetic goals, while keeping your health and safety in mind.
In addition, you should be clear with your surgeon about your ideal appearance. The consultation is designed to make sure that both of you are on the same page concerning your goals and what you can realistically expect. Your surgeon will examine your nose and may take some photos. This, along with an examination of your past medical history, should help determine whether you are a good candidate for nose reshaping.
Altering Diet and Nutrition Regimens
In the weeks prior to surgery, it is important to prepare your body for the changes that will take place. Doing everything you can to stay healthy prior to surgery will go a long way toward enabling a speedy recovery. Some changes that surgeons often recommend are:
• Avoid Aspirin and other blood-thinning medications
• Avoid Alcohol
• Quit Smoking
• Begin taking vitamins C, E and iron. These supplements promote healing
• Notify your surgeon of any illnesses, even minor ones.
• Fill prescriptions for antibiotics, sleeping aids, and pain medications
• Stock up on “soft” foods
Planning for Post-Surgery
In addition to preparing for the day of surgery, it is important to plan post-operative care and take any necessary steps to make life after surgery as comfortable as possible. These steps will increase your comfort and allow for a fast recovery.
• If possible, arrange for a caretaker for the first 48 hours following surgery
• Arrange for reliable transportation
• Plan for at least two weeks away from your job
• Assemble supplies for cold compresses to minimize swelling
• Do any strenuous and important chores prior to surgery
Quick tips befor Rhinoplasty (Nasal Surgery)
• Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), Vitamin E, or any medications containing these compounds for two weeks before surgery.
• Refrain from smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco smoke delays healing and can result in scarring. This is the perfect time to give up the habit.
• Avoid sun damage two weeks before surgery-wear sunscreen daily (SPF 20 or greater).
• Have your prescriptions filled prior to the day of surgery.
• Purchase saline nasal spray from a pharmacy (Brand names: Ocean, Ayr, generic is OK). This will be used after your surgery.
• Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery.
• Arrange for someone to take you home from the hospital. You will not be allowed to drive or leave alone.
The Day of Surgery
Your surgeon will provide you with specific instructions and information about the surgery. Some final steps you should take include:
• Thoroughly wash your face to eliminate bacteria
• Do not eat or drink after midnight prior to surgery
• Do not apply any cosmetic products to the face or hair
• Get a good night’s sleep
While the above instructions apply to almost all rhinoplasty procedures, it is important to discuss your specific needs with your surgeon. Feeling confident about the procedure is equally important, so be sure to ask your surgeon any questions you may have. Being thoroughly prepared for the nose reshaping procedure significantly improves the chances of a safe surgery and a fast, comfortable recovery.
While rhinoplasty surgery can produce dramatic results for many individuals, rhinoplasty recovery does require some patience. The typical recovery time for rhinoplasty surgery is about two weeks. Because nose reshaping surgery makes significant changes to the bone and cartilage of the nose, it will take some time for the body to heal and adjust to these changes. It is important to keep in mind that recovery time will vary patient to patient, based on a several factors, including:
• Extent of surgical changes
• Quality of post-operative care
• Overall patient health prior to surgery
- Surgery Overview Rhinoplasty is surgery to resh...
- How Long Does Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling Las...
- Taping The Nose In many cases following rhinopl...
- Rhinoplasty Recovery: What to Expect Right Afte...
- Rhinoplasty: Nasal Congestion after Surgery? Ye...